Monday, August 19, 2013

Helpful Information

Hey all!

Just wanted to share some of the useful links that I have been using.

A lot of people have been surprised at how much red meat we are eating. The is a large misconception that red meat is bad and chicken is good. Here is a helpful link that explains why you should eat more red meat. It also talks about it in The Perfect Human Diet documentary I wrote about in my last post.

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/which-meat-to-choose/

This website has a TON of useful information all about eating Paleo. Why to eat certain things, and why not. It also has some recipes!!!

Another website I have been referring to quite a bit is Paleo Cupboard. This site has a TON of yummy looking recipes. I also follow them on Instagram, and they post pictures of their recipes all of the time. The link I am posting now goes directly to the 10 Paleo tips for beginners. All of these are SO TRUE. I think my favorite is #4:

http://www.paleocupboard.com/10-tips-for-beginners.html

4. Don't think of this as a diet

This is a lifestyle and it requires that you modify many parts of your life to make it work. If paleo doesn't work for you 100%, adjust it so that it does. If you feel deprived and are not happy then this will not work. My husband and I will have a "cheat" meal every couple weeks, and we enjoy a glass of red wine every now and then. Find the plan that works for you and your family.
 
I agree with this 100%. We truly do not think of this as a "diet" in the terms of just to lose weight. It is a diet, as in a way of eating, a lifestyle. When archaeologists study how people ate in different time periods, or when zoologists study animal's eating habits, what do they call it? Their diet. That word has become so associated with losing weight, that people don't even realize anymore that it really just means how you eat. Diet as a verb, to me, is more of the idea of losing weight. So, get the idea out of your head now that the whole purpose of this is to lose weight. The purpose is to feed your body what it truly needs. The weight loss will come with it naturally.
 
Here is another way to think of it that has really changed my perspective: Food can either be medicine or poison. We so mindlessly put stuff into our bodies that was not meant to, and we are destroying ourselves for something that we don't need. I used to think, oh well we all die eventually anyway, I want to enjoy what I eat. But what if a lot of today's ailments are caused by the non-human food we are putting into our bodies? Every day people are literally feeding themselves chemicals, whether it be how the food is processed, or what the companies are actually putting in them. There is a lot of information out there that shows this to be true.
 
Jamie Oliver is one of my favorite celebrities out there. He is doing nothing but trying to help people see how poorly we are treating our bodies, and how these large food companies are literally poisoning ourselves. Here is a great article about one such instance:
 
 
Chef Jamie Oliver Proves McDonald’s Burgers “Unfit for human consumption”
 
 
McDonald's cheeseburgers are "unfit for human consumption" because of washing the meat in ammonium hydroxide before we eat them. HELLO! They literally bath the meat in a chemical, and then fry it up and slap it on a bun for us. And we wonder why everyone is getting cancer?! What is even crazier, is that you will not see this on mainstream news- that is a whole other blog topic right there.
 
Okay, I have a few more links for tonight. This is another recipe website that has a ton of delicious ideas:
 
 
And I think the description of this one says it all:
 
"The Paleo mom is a scientist turned stay-at-home-mom who shares recipes, explains the science behind the paleo diet and its modifications, and blogs about the challenges about raising a paleo family."
 
 
LOVE that!!!!! For you mommas out there that have asked me about doing this with kiddos! (you dads, too!)
 
Oh, and one more for my Kansas City friends...There is a Paleo restaurant!!!
 
 
You can expect to see me there in the near future!!!
 
Anyway, I hope all of this information will help you to be able to make an informed, confident decision on whether or not this is the right path for you. I know I am hooked. And the food is DELICIOUS too, if you go about it right!!!
 
Welp, I'm off to put together my lunch for tomorrow!!!!
 
Hope everyone has a good Tuesday!!!
 
~Sammi
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment